Heidi Klum, Bar Refaeli, John Legend, Rufus Wainright and Raphael Saadiq Help Raise $1.4 Million at amfAR's Milan Fashion Week Event
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
amfAR Media Contacts:
Bennah Serfaty, Sr. Director of Communications: 212-806-1607 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Shawn Purdy, Slate PR: email@example.com
Milan, Italy, September 24, 2011 – Heidi Klum, Bar Refaeli, Rufus Wainwright, John Legend, Dean & Dan Caten, Raphael Saadiq, Chanel Iman, Natasha Poly, Roberto and Eva Cavalli, and Margherita and Teresa Missoni were among those who gathered last night to support the fight against AIDS at the third annual amfAR Milano benefit. The black-tie gala and live auction, held in conjunction with Milan Fashion Week, raised more than $1.4 million for amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research. This set a record as amfAR’s most successful Italian event.
The event, held at La Permanente, was presented by Moët Hennessy, along with media partner Vanity Fair, hotel partner Westin Palace Milano, Dalia Air and AriZona Beverage Company. Proceeds will benefit amfAR’s life-saving AIDS research programs. Guests also enjoyed wine from Ferragamo’s Tenuta Il Borro vineyard. Heidi Klum and Bar Refaeli served as chairs of the event, along with Mrs. El Achchabi, Roberto Bolle, Luca Dini, Milutin Gatsby, Lapo Elkann, Christophe Navarre, Vincent Roberti and amfAR Chairman Kenneth Cole. Simon de Pury served as the auctioneer.
The evening featured special performances by Rufus Wainwright, who took to the piano to sing “Complainte De La Butte,” and Raphael Saadiq, who sang “100 Yard Dash” and “Stone Rollin’” and invited Grammy Award-winning artist John Legend to join him on stage to perform “My Cherie Amour.”
In addition to speaking about the importance of supporting amfAR's AIDS research programs, amfAR Chairman Kenneth Cole delivered a moving tribute to Dame Elizabeth Taylor. Event chair Heidi Klum opened the evening’s auction, which featured a number of unique experiences and items. In one of the auction’s many highlights, John Legend surprised guests with an impromptu performance of “Ordinary People” to introduce his special auction item. Mrs. El Achchabi and Carl Hirschman both won the opportunity to have a special private performance by John Legend in their home, for €200,000 each.
Guests also included Roberta Armani, Saverio Moschillo, Silvia Venturini Fendi, Nora Arnezeder, Giovanna Battaglia, Martina Mondadori, Isabeli Fontana, Madalina Ghenea, Constance Jablonski, Filippa Lagerback, Margareth Madé, Anja Rubik, Ambra Medda, Izabel Goulart, Eva Riccobono and more.
Other Highlights of the auction included:
- Bert Stern’s “Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra, 1962” photo, which sold for €45,000 to legendary designer Roberto Cavalli. \
- Elizabeth Taylor, Malibu, 1991” by Herb Ritts was sold by guest auctioneer Simon de Pury to designers Dean & Dan Caten of DSquared for €80,000.
- A Luxurious Grecian Holiday, provided by Dalia Air, Savallis and Petersham Properties, was auctioned by Chanel Iman and the Catens for €55,000.
- Moët & Chandon Grand Vintage 2002 is the house’s first Grand Vintage since the 1930s to be aged for seven years. This, along with a limited-edition Verner Panton Bar Boy and visit to Moët & Chandon in Epernay, was sold by actress Nora Arnezeder for €30,000.
- Massimo Vitali’s “Zlatni Rat Canoe, 2009” ignited a bidding war between fashion royalty Roberto Cavalli and Margherita Missoni, who said, “I’m too young to bid against a legend.” In the end, the piece went to Kenneth Cole for €55,000.
Following the dinner and live auction, guests danced late into the night to the sounds of DJ Ruckus and Michaelangelo L’Acqua at a private after-party.
amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research, is one of the world’s leading nonprofit organizations dedicated to the support of AIDS research, HIV prevention, treatment education, and the advocacy of sound AIDS-related public policy. Since 1985, amfAR has invested nearly $325 million in its programs and has awarded grants to more than 2,000 research teams worldwide.
HP is the official technology supplier of amfAR.
amfAR recognizes Delta Air Lines for its commitment to the fight against AIDS and its generous support of amfAR’s mission.
For event photos, please contact: www.wireimage.com.