TITLE: Director, Philanthropy
LOCATION: New York
With the support of the Vice President of Development, the Director of Philanthropy serves as amfAR’s chief fundraising officer. He or she targets corporations, foundations, and individuals for major gift cultivation and solicitation. With a good grasp of institutional information, the Director of Philanthropy engages in dialogue with prospects and donors and furthers key relationships with the goal of increasing support for amfAR.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Understand the mission and purpose of amfAR and effectively communicate it to appropriate prospects and donors.
- Oversee fundraising efforts in the areas of major gifts, direct response, institutional giving, and workplace giving to execute operational plans and ensure achievement of goals.
- Develop multi-year fundraising plans, gift range tables, and other budgeting tools.
- Lead focused growth in individual, corporate, and foundation giving, with a particular emphasis on major gifts.
- Manage a team of seven full-time development staff.
- Assess progress on goals regularly and adjust course as necessary.
- Coach and develop staff members to grow professionally and maximize their impact.
- Personally source, cultivate, and steward a portfolio of high-net-worth donors.
- Work with the Vice President of Development, the Board of Trustees, and other amfAR senior staff members to support effective and strategic engagement with donors.
- Develop and execute pitches and strategies to reach goals for distinct donor segments.
- Support the Vice President of Development in managing the Board of Trustees, including preparing for quarterly meetings, cultivating new members, and supporting current members with their work for the organization.
- Collaborate with other senior staff members to drive mission-critical, cross-functional initiatives.
- Keep abreast of developments in the fundraising field.
Bachelor’s degree and eight to ten years of experience in fundraising with an emphasis on major gifts and/or capital campaigns. Must possess excellent written and oral communications skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships on behalf of amfAR. Knowledge and interest in AIDS and public health issues is expected, as is the ability to work collaboratively. Must be able to travel and work extended hours as needed.
Interested applicants should forward their resume, cover letter and salary requirement to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
No agencies please.