TITLE: Vice President, Development
LOCATION: New York
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
Provides leadership in expanding support for amfAR=s mission by developing goals and strategies for all fund-raising activities including special events, major gifts, direct response, cause-related marketing, and advancing relationships with constituents, donors and prospective donors (including foundations, corporations and government sources). Supervises and approves the creation of annual work plans and budgets for all development activities, and leads staff in accomplishing goals and reporting on progress. Oversees and provides final approval on all fund-raising messages and materials including direct response and cause-related marketing affiliations and projects. Provides direct supervision to the Director of Special Events, Director of Philanthropy, and Business Partnerships Manager. Works with the CEO on matters related to fund development strategies and planning. Works closely with the Board of Trustees and Program staff to ensure that development activities provide support to maximize program and fund development. Works in partnership with Public Information staff in developing consistent and appropriate messages for all program and fund development activities and related matters. Develops new strategies for expanding the fund-raising capacity of the Foundation. The VP, Development also spends a great deal of time managing and working with amfAR event producers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for ultimate oversight and supervision of all fund-raising activities of the Foundation including staffing, developing short- and long-range goals, creating annual work plans and budgets, and providing planning and leadership to meet goals.
- Works with all Development staff to advance a coordinated fund-raising program with synergy from related events and campaigns where possible. Leads staff in creating new fund-raising initiatives, cultivating sponsors and volunteers, and developing and implementing (within budgetary guidelines) plans for expansion.
- Identifies and cultivates key business, foundation and community leaders, and other potential supporters of amfAR and provides knowledge of amfAR=s programs and policies.
- Works with amfAR program staff to develop constituent and donor interest in specific programs and introduces opportunities for engaging support.
- In collaboration with the Director of Special Events, creates short- and long-term strategies and outreach plans for amfAR special event fund-raising activities, including the development of objectives and schedules for recurring annual events and new projects.
- In collaboration with the Director of Philanthropy, develops and implements solicitation and cultivation strategies and outreach plans to advance relationships with constituents, donors, and prospective donors, including foundations, corporations, and government funding sources. Cultivates and solicits major donors from businesses, industries, foundations, and individuals.
- Works with the Business Partnerships Manager to identify and cultivate support for cause-related marketing, and supports efforts to build relationships and increase earned income.
- Serves as the primary liaison with the Foundation’s Board of Trustees. Responsible for motivating and working closely with Board members to ensure optimal support of and involvement in development activities.
- Works with Development staff to create new fund raising solicitation messages; reviews and provides final approval on all development materials.
- Works with Development directors to manage and monitor the department’s budget.
- Prepares detailed fund raising progress reports for the Chief Executive Officer and Board of Directors.
- Leads efforts to coordinate Development activities with amfAR's overall plans and strategies to ensure that fund raising activities and schedules support the efforts of other departments.
- Supervises and evaluates Development department senior staff.
- Participates as a member of the Management Group.
- Takes on responsibility for Foundation-wide program and fund development activities and related plans and initiatives as requested by the CEO.
BA/BS or equivalent and eight years experience in developing and managing a broad range of fund raising programs and activities including Major Gifts, Special Events, Direct Response, Cause-Related Marketing, and support from foundations, corporations, and government sources. Experience in significant major gifts campaigns is required. Must possess demonstrated fund raising success in all areas of donor segmentation, research, and cultivation. Proven ability to work with diverse personalities in a collegial and cooperative manner is required. Ability to develop a network of volunteers and donors on a national level. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and experience preparing solicitation materials, proposals, progress reports, and donor correspondence is required. Knowledge of health care terminology; medical, scientific, and technical terms; and AIDS, and AIDS-related issues are required. Very frequent overnight and lengthy travel including extended work days is required for this position.
Interested applicants should send their cover letter, resume, and salary
requirements to email@example.com.
No agencies please.